Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Year Later

So, here we are one year after starting the "raw diet." I'm still happy feeding it, in fact my Vizsla puppy "Ryan" will be joining Clara in consuming "raw food." I've done bloodwork (cbc [a.k.a. complete blood count] and chemistry panel) to make sure her liver and kidney enzymes are normal, which they are! The electrolytes (calcium, sodium, phosphorous) are included in the panel and those are normal as well. Her cbc is also normal. So, that's Clara on the inside. She looks normal on the outside, too. She has a wonderful thick coat, her eye is bright and shiny and she acts like the happy, energetic PWC that she should.

We did hit a small "snafu" though. It seems Clara has developed an allergy to duck :( Darnit. I found that out after I bought 30 lbs of necks! Aagh! It's a good thing that my friend Katrin can feed duck to some of her dogs and thankfully was willing to purchase said duck from me. What a great friend.

Anyway, I need to be better about rotating the protein sources that I feed Clara to help prevent her from becoming allergic to anything else in the future.

No comments: